Can you drive the train?
Do you have what it takes to be the engineer of our historic diesel locomotives?
Our “Drive the Train” program allows you to experience life as a locomotive engineer aboard one of our historic diesel locomotives! Our next sessions will be on Saturday, June 24, and Sunday, June 25.
During the 20-minute session, you will learn how to operate one of the organization’s diesel locomotives from an experienced locomotive engineer.
Tickets for this experience are $80 and must be purchased online. The fee includes one-year LASTA membership and space in the cab for one other rider to observe and document your adventure. In addition, family members and friends can travel in the caboose for the standard $5 per person ticket fee.
Booking and Safety Requirements
- Tickets are by reservation only and must be booked online.
- The minimum age to operate the locomotive is 15 years. One parent must accompany riders who are under 18 years old.
- Participants must arrive 30 minutes before their reserved time to complete Safety Training and documentation.
- No personal belongings will be allowed in the cab other than phone/camera. No firearms or weapons are permitted on the property.
- Participants must follow crew instructions at all times. Photos may be taken when permitted by the crew. Failure to comply will result in the termination of the trip with no refund.
- All Participants must wear comfortable clothes, closed-toe shoes with a heel no higher than ½ inch and long pants. LASTA will provide hearing protection.
- Participants must have complete mobility, including the ability to climb vertical steps and stand unaided for 15-30 minutes. Participants must be able to hear and see safety commands from the crew.
- Participants who appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol or are behaving in an unsafe or disorderly manner will have their tickets canceled with no refund.
- Due to the nature of our Historic equipment, LASTA reserves the right to change the schedule or cancel trains at any time. Refunds will only be issued if the trip is canceled due to inclement weather or mechanical problems.
- Select the date and either the morning or afternoon session from the list below.
- Submit your payment via PayPal.
- Once confirmed, We will reply with your assigned time slot and detailed instructions.
- A copy of the payment receipt, signed waivers, and photo ID will be required at check-in.
May 27, 2023 8-11:20 AM or 1 -6:40 PM May 28, 2023 8-11:20 AM or 1 -4:40 PM
- June 24, 2023 8-11:20 AM or 1 – 6:40 PM
- June 25, 2023 8-11:20 AM or 1 -4:40 PM